Friday, July 12, 2013

Woof

Woof.

It's the typical sound we ascribe to dogs in English. Last night I was hand feeding Jalapeño her chicken when she heard a sound and barked. She only barked once and it was a little startling because her mouth was only a foot from my ear. It made me laugh, though. Because she said woof. Literally, woof.

I did think it was a little odd. Because dogs almost always repeat themselves.

As in, woof, woof.

I have often thought about how animals speak different languages. Did you know Spanish dogs do not say woof? They say guau, guau. And Japanese dogs say wan wan. Hindu dogs say bow bow. Not sure about the other Indian dialects. I'll have to ask my mom how they bark in Malayalam. It is these sorts of questions that lead her to question my sanity and interests.

Here is an interesting article from Psychology Today that talks about dogs and the languages they speak. So check it out if you have been dying to know how dogs bark in Catalan or Czech.

How Dogs Bark in DIfferent Languages

I was on my chaise lounge earlier working on getting rid of my tan lines when Jalapeño decided to lie down underneath me. Then she somehow managed to dig an area out under the chair so she was in cooler soil. I was impressed that she was able to do this as she barely fit under the chair.

Here are a couple of shots of her. If you look closely, you will see her ball! I include the second shot because I think its funny.





No comments:

Post a Comment