Tuesday, July 30, 2013

After the Storm....

Considering Jalapeño jumps when she farts and then contorts around to look, and sniff, suspiciously at her bootie, I wonder what she is going to think when puppies start popping out.

Should be fun to see.

We survived the storm without any problems. My mind had already created many soap-opera type situations, like the puppies being born in an elevator with no power. Then I remembered I don't have an elevator.

Here's a lil local bird enjoying the area around my plants after the rain.

Her boyfriend was on my curry tree. They are always near each other.

At 9:30 on the dot last night, Piña started nesting. I recognized it the second she got on the couch and started rooting around. Although Jalapeño has never given birth to any real puppies, she has had several hysterical pregnancies. The first time around I was completely baffled when my happy little dog started digging around on the couch, cried when you threw her stuffed animals (what?! that was always fun before!), moved from sleeping by our feet to sleeping ON our heads and, towards the end, developed such agoraphobia she would not leave the back bedroom or her "babies". I researched and lo and behold, she was having fake babies that we have since successfully placed with many fake families.

Here is s video of her first fake pregnancy. It stressed her out when we threw her toys. It is very important to know when to throw them or not to throw them.
Jalapeño's first fake (or was it practice?) pregnancy!

Jalapeño did not sleep at all last night, so I didn't either. We spent lots of time hanging out together in the whelping pen. I must say, it is quite comfy. It got a little hot...so we had two fans blowing on us. She nested comfortably by herself for the second half of the night. I lay in bed next to her and listened to her breathe.

It was a snuggly night.

This morning she tried to crawl under the shed. She is definitely in the first stage of labour. So I've spent the day cajoling her to drink water and keeping her quiet. I expect her temperature to drop by tonight and the puppies to be here in the next 36 hours or so.

Like I know or have any control. LOL!

Jalapeño also tried to nest in the bed this morning. With her panting, it was shaking like a bed in a cheap motel. Do they still have those beds that vibrate when you put a quarter in them?

On my pillow, I might add.

Settled in for the wait on her...

... last few nights of freedom.

We can't wait!


No comments:

Post a Comment