Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Tufts in the Wind

What is in a name?

In our family, everything. My husband is the king of nicknames. When he met me I was beautiful. I transitioned to princess and eventually pudding. I do still get a beautiful every once in a while.

Our first golden was big nose. Jake was nose although sometimes his ears would perk up and make his head look like a quaker hat and we would call him George. He could be quite presidential.

Jalapeño has numerous nicknames. The main one we use is Piña, which is pineapple in Spanish. It fits her well. When she was small, I called her Jali, with a soft J. It was often confused with haole, which is the word for white person in Hawai'i. Since Jali is in fact golden, it didn't really fit although I still default to it every once in a while.

Jalapeño's native-American nickname is Piña Two-Tufts. Here she is in full-tuft glory!
Piña Two-Tufts

Piña's tufts are a very accurate indicator of her mood. When they are up, she is perky and playful. When they are down, she is mellow and perhaps a little melancholy. Here is Piña No-Tufts!

Piña No-Tufts

A close up of tuft-loveliness.
And here is a tuft-and-a-half shot that is just plain funny. She would not approve of me posting it!

Pina's other nicknames include Lil Beebs, Chub Chubs (we are actually all Chubs in our family), Piña Marie (in honor of the great crab fisherman Captain Phil, whose boat was the Cornelia Marie), La Lengua (tongue in Spanish). I wonder how we came up with that!
La Lengua

 I'm sure there are more that will come to me as soon as I publish this blog.




No comments:

Post a Comment